Friday 19 July 2013

Huddle up, its movie time!

My earliest memory of a movie that really made me feel and believe and weep was when Musafa dies in front of Simba's eyes in the stampede; Simba shouts for help in vain and cuddles up in his father's mane.

I have been the biggest animated movie fan since then! Sure regular movies take you into a real seeming virtual world but animated movies just teleport you into a whole different dimension where anything and everything is possible. Animals talk, elephants fly, dogs and mice are best friends, monsters are harmless, the world is saved(every time), women fight combat, the bad guys are actually nice, your toys have your back, your friends do too and true love actually exists! why would anyone not like animated movies?

They are not just for kids. Some of the deepest quotes about life from these movies feels more true as adults. "Always let your conscience be your guide."-Pinocchio. "Today is a good day to try." -Don't know who. "The past can hurt. But the way I see it, you can either run from it, or learn from it" -The Lion King.

One of the projects that was a big hit at my school was playing a popular English kids movie with English subtitles. All you need is a projector, which we had in our school since we has a smart class. Wait. what was I saying again? Sorry, “I suffer from short-term memory loss. […] No, it’s true! I forget things almost instantly. It runs in my family! Well I mean… at least… I think it does. Hum… Where are they? … Can I help you?” -Dory. Ah yes, movie screenings! Movie screenings at my school were much more than just entertainment. It was a way of learning spoken English by watching it, reading English faster with the subtitles, getting a glimpse of other cultures and places and creating an interest in a possible career in animation. It made them familiar with popular children films which we and kids all around the world grew up watching.

Just make sure you have fixed timings for these movies since it can distract them from regular classes and delay the syllabus. "Hmm! Teenagers. They think they know everything. You give them an inch and they swim all over you!" -Sebastian the crab. Here is a tip though, always review content before screening it.

I'm leaving you with pictures of the Movie time screening chart at our school. That's half their excitement when they come to school. Checking the movie board. More on why visual props and classroom preparation is important, later.

"To infinity…and beyond!" -Buzz Lightyear.













No comments:

Post a Comment